Gas Safety Week 2019

supported by Somerset Gas

Each year,  Gas Safety Week see's organisations from across the UK coming together to promote awareness and understanding of the dangers of gas appliances and heating systems, which if not maintained correctly, can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

To help support Gas Safety Week and all year round, we are raising awareness, by providing a platform to tell your stories, provide tips, the warnings signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and much much more.

See below to get started

The latest facts about Gas Safety

Real Stories

Jo's Story.

Knowing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning could save your live.

Jo Brooks was experiencing symptoms for several months before realising her family was suffering from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, putting their illness down to a virus that wouldn’t go away.

 

When they finally got a gas safety check, they found that a loose flue was leaking CO back into their home.

 

“Every morning I'd stagger to work and feel like I was hungover even when I hadn't had anything to drink. I put it down to a nasty virus. After the gas safety check, we got a brand new central heating system, more CO alarms around the house and we now make sure we set a reminder for our annual gas safety check by a registered engineer."

Jo continued: 

 

“I know we are incredibly lucky and that it could have been a lot worse for us. I urge all families to make sure they know the symptoms of CO poisoning and make sure they get an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer as part of their routine to keep their family safe.”

Signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is the most common form of household poison.  You can't see it, taste it or smell it.

The early symptoms of poisoning can be easily confused with many common ailments and can develop quickly or over a number of days or months.  Look out for:

Take Action

If you think you have carbon monoxide poisoning, you should:

 
The best ways to prevent CO poisoning and give you and your family peace of mind.
Prevention
Ensure regular servicing of your fuel appliances by a Gas Safe registered engineer.  Any installation, repair and regular service must be done so by a qualified and registered engineer.
Make sure that you have good ventilation and enough fresh air in the room containing your fuel appliance.
Ensure that chimneys and flues are not blocked and that your vents are not covered.
If you have a fireplace, get your chimney swept from top to bottom at least once a year by a qualified sweep.
Do not use barbecues in enclosed spaces, i.e. indoors or inside a tent or caravan.
Book your annual service with Somerset Gas today.

Copyright © 2019 Somerset Gas. All rights reserved.

Somerset Gas is an award-winning, family-run heating and electrical company from Somerset.

 

We have been providing annual boiler services, safety inspections, maintenance, central heating installations and reactive repairs to thousands of homes across the South West of the UK since 1995.

With a dedicated, local team of engineers and electricians, we are able to provide support to homeowners, landlords, business owners and local authorities across Somerset and Devon.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Black LinkedIn Icon

Copyright © 2019 Somerset Gas. All rights reserved